ppc32 kernel boot problem (pmu related?)

Nathan Pilatzke nathanpilatzke at gmail.com
Wed May 17 01:04:14 EST 2006

On 5/16/06, Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:

> Can you try editing arch/powerpc/platforms/powermac/low_i2c.c, in
> function pmac_i2c_init(), comment out the call to pmac_i2c_devscan() and
> tell me if that makes a difference.
>
> Thanks,
> Ben.

Commenting out the call to pmac_i2c_devscan() in function
pmac_i2c_init() allowed the kernel to boot.  I am typing this email
booted under it.  The kernel messages were printed a bit strangely
though.  There was no scrolling or clearing of the screen.  The kernel
messages would start at the top and overwrite old messages, with the
cursor jumping back to the top of the screen every so often.  The
/proc/device-tree is attached for the booting 2.6.17-rc3 kernel with
pmu enabled, as is the new dmesg output.  If you need the
/proc/device-tree from a 2.6.15 working kernel with pmu enabled
instead, let me know.

Is this kernel fairly safe/stable to use?  What can be done next?

Nathan