[Alsa-devel] [RFC] alsa integer control ranges

Takashi Iwai tiwai at suse.de
Tue May 16 22:27:12 EST 2006

At Tue, 16 May 2006 14:02:20 +0200,
Johannes Berg wrote:

> Apparently all alsa userspace programs including alsamixer suck. Hence,
> this patch is required to make them work properly. Why is it so hard to
> do these additions/subtractions in the program or maybe even in the alsa
> library? The alsa libraries already think they know better and mess up
> all kinds of things.

It's a pretty stupid question to ask why you are stupid :)

I don't think it's alsa-lib that prevents the negative or non-zero
integer range.  The fact amixer works implies that it's an
app-specific bug.  But I'm not 100% sure and need more
inside-looking.

> What are your opinions on this? Should this be required? And if so, why
> do we even have the value.integer.min when we can't use it anyway?

Right now, the range 0-max would make your life easier, I guess.

The min value is an API definition, and implemented and worked once.
But no drivers used yet.  So, there might be a breakage.  It's of
course to be fixed.

Takashi