Load average 1.0 on idle machine

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Mon May 15 11:45:58 EST 2006

On Sun, 2006-05-14 at 00:16 -0700, Brian D. Carlstrom wrote:
> Juergen Kreileder writes:
>  > with both 2.6.16.11 and 2.6.17-rc4 my PowerMac G5 Quad shows a load
>  > average of 1.0 when the machine is completely idle (just kernel, init,
>  > and bash running).
>
> I see this as well, with the load coming from "kwindfarm". I just
> assumed this was expected because of the userlevel thermal control
> versus the older in kernel code for the PowerMac7,2 and 7,3 machines.

I double checked and the driver should sleep for a second every second
unless there the activity of actually doing the thermal control & i2c
fan control is really taking that much time... hrm... I suppose I should
dig a bit more but I don't have time at the moment. For now, consider
the load avergage value bogus :)

Ben.