Information for setting up SMT related parameters on linux 2.6.16 on POWER5

Will Schmidt will_schmidt at vnet.ibm.com
Thu May 11 02:27:48 EST 2006

On Tue, 2006-05-09 at 17:17 -0600, Meswani, Mitesh wrote:
> Thanks guys
>
> That answered so many of my questions.
>
> If I were to use these macros from user space, would they remain set
> until next reboot or change ? POWER5 allows priorities 2 through 4 for
> user apps, so considering this, and the fact that the normal prioirity
> is level 4, if a user app resets it to say 2 and then finishes without
> changing it back to 4 , would all the subsequent user apps run at the
> new level 2. I wonder what I am saying even makes sense, because the
> kernel internally throttles the priority for various sections of the
> kernel code and it may even overwrite it.

I dont believe there is any mechanism that ever saves the current
priority between user and kernel, or between threads, etc.  So if you
were to set it, it would remain set until the next HMT_ macro was
touched.  A brief source search shows that the HMT_ macros are
referenced in idle loops, spin locks, exceptions, and hcalls, so not
likely that it would remain set for long.

> On a slightly unrelated note, I appended some boot parameters like
> smt-enabled=on/off to /etc/lilo.conf and unfortunately I am not able
> to see any effect and it boots the same way. I am switching from the

Perhaps bad notation in my first note.    "smt-enabled=on" is a default,
and will give you threads.   "smt-enabled=off"  will cause those threads
to be off by default.

>  AIX world so I maybe doing something dumb, please point out if I am !
> This kind of seems to effect the bind processor calls using
> sys_setaffinity when there are 4 logical processors 0-3 on two
> physical processors, bind only allows me to set affinity to either cpu
> 0 or 2, this seems weird to me because my system is booting with two
> logical cpus and then I set online bit to 1 to turn the remaining on,
> thereafter I try binding and havent been very successful.

Dont know about the affinity stuff..