DTC/dts modifications

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Tue May 2 06:28:34 EST 2006

On May 1, 2006, at 3:07 PM, Kim Phillips wrote:

> On Mon, 1 May 2006 14:52:23 -0500
> Kumar Gala <galak at kernel.crashing.org> wrote:
>
>> [snip]

>>> Yeah, we're not going to be able to change those; they
>>> are "By The Book".
>>
>> By what book?  It would seem to me that BNF for dtc is completely
>> under our control and if we want to change it we can.  I understand
>> that there is some correspondence to Open Firmware, but it seems that
>> if its people are ok with the dts format changing that's a lot easier
>> than implementing tons of support in dtc for features that cpp
>> gives us.
>>
>> [I'm also guessing no one's really got time to go and implement these
>> features in dtc]
>>
> cpp -x assembler-with-cpp seems to not produce the above errors,
> and still honours preprocessing directives like #define.  Don't
> know what else is messes with, and whether you want to add CPPFLAGS.

Cool, here's an invocation that seems to work well.  Not sure what
causes linux = 1 (thus I need the -U linux).  Also address the line
information that is normally spit out.

cpp -U linux -P -x assembler-with-cpp foo.dts

With a 8349 dts I'm using I'm able to run it through cpp then dts and
get the exact same dtb.

- kumar