DTC/dts modifications

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Tue May 2 05:52:23 EST 2006

[snip]

>> Try running a current .dts through cpp today.  You will get errors
>> like:
>>
>> oftree.dts:15:3: error: invalid preprocessing directive #address
>
>> Because of props like:
>>
>>        #cpus = <1>;
>>        #address-cells = <1>;
>>        #size-cells = <0>;
>>
>> If these used some other symbol instead of '#' cpp will be happy and
>> we can use it to create macros for us.
>
> Yeah, we're not going to be able to change those; they
> are "By The Book".

By what book?  It would seem to me that BNF for dtc is completely
under our control and if we want to change it we can.  I understand
that there is some correspondence to Open Firmware, but it seems that
if its people are ok with the dts format changing that's a lot easier
than implementing tons of support in dtc for features that cpp gives us.

[I'm also guessing no one's really got time to go and implement these
features in dtc]

> Instead, we'll have to make the lexical analysis conscious
> of something like a <newline> context sensitive token or so.
> Or throw some flag to cpp to not emit location markers.

- kumar