[OT] ppc64 serialization problem

Greg Smith gsmith at nc.rr.com
Wed Mar 29 15:08:14 EST 2006

Very fair questions!!

Actually the code was

    pthread_mutex_lock(&lock);
    u32 |= bitB;
    TRACE("A", u32, ...);
    TRACE("B", u32, ...);
    pthread_mutex_unlock(&lock);

where TRACE is a function call (entering a trace entry to an in-storage
wrap-around table).  So for the "A" call, u32 could have come directly
from a register and for "B" from the storage location.  I'll have the
user (actually a fellow developer) send me the assembly listing to make
sure.

He has tested SLES9 (kernel 2.6.5, glibc 2.3.3, gcc 3.3.3) and Debian
(kernel 2.6.16, glibc 2.3.6, gcc 4.0.3).

The TRACE occurs while the lock is held.

Now the interesting part.

I suggested he try u64 instead of u32.  That works!!

He is suspecting a recent firmware upgrade may have something to do with
the problem.

Thank you,
Greg Smith