make install on ppc

Hollis Blanchard hollis at penguinppc.org
Wed Mar 29 07:02:01 EST 2006

On Tuesday 28 March 2006 13:06, you wrote:
> Problem is for multi-platform binary builds, 'install' could mean different
> things for the different platforms, so to support install, there needs
> to be some way to tell the build system what 'install' means that also
> works with the muti-platform makefile logic.  The current powerpc makefiles
> don't have this, and it would take some non-trivial rework to add it.

That is for the distribution- or user-supplied installkernel script to deal
with.

> There is also the question of what install means when cross building.

So don't run make install when cross-compiling (unless of course your
installkernel script supports that).

I don't understand these objections. If someone's platform is so super-special
that a script couldn't possibly know how to install a kernel, just don't run
make install!

-Hollis