make install on ppc

Jin Qi Huang huangjq at cn.ibm.com
Tue Mar 28 14:59:50 EST 2006

Now on ia32, there are also a lot of bootloaders, currently 'make install'
can update lilo and grub, on ppc desktop and enterprise computing, we
mainly use yaboot as the bootloader, I think ppc 'make install' can at
least support yaboot.

--
Regards,

MCP Test, Linux Technology Center, China Systems & Technology Lab
China Development Labs, Beijing      Email: huangjq at cn.ibm.com

Hollis Blanchard <hollis at penguinppc.org>
Sent by: linuxppc-dev-bounces+huangjq=cn.ibm.com at ozlabs.org
2006-03-28 11:43

linuxppc-dev list <linuxppc-dev at ozlabs.org>
cc

Subject
Re: make install on ppc

On Mar 26, 2006, at 7:56 PM, Brent Cook wrote:

> On Sunday 26 March 2006 19:42, Jin Qi Huang wrote:
>> I also think the 'make install' is very useful, now on ia32, the 'make
>> install' provided by the latest kernel linux-2.6.16 not only create
>> initrd, copy vmlinuz and System.map to /boot directory, but also
>> update
>> grub, ppc32 does not provide this useful feature, maybe it is a pity!

The feature sounds like a good idea to me, even if it's just the
copying files part. Do any PPC distros provide a working installkernel
script?

> Maybe narrow it to define 'make install' for new world/old world
> Macintoshes,
> or IBM machines? I can't see a generic make install being useful for
> the
> wider range of platforms that fall under ppc.
>
> 'make install' appears to me to be very platform dependent. Sure, on
> x86, you
> can reasonably assume that the majority of systems have the kernel on
> a disk
> under /boot and the bootloader is grub or lilo. I have 5 ppc machines
> currently, and no two use the same bootloader or kernel image. I've
> seen
> u-boot, yaboot, quik, powerboot (Motorola/Force), xmon (XES) and more,
> and
> they all required different post-processing to the kernel image to
> boot. For
> most of these, there is no way to programmatically guess where a
> particular
> kernel image should go to work with the boot loader.

If you have an unusual platform, don't run make install and you have
lost nothing... :)

-Hollis