Can 750 user-mode binaries run on a 603e core?

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Jul 27 10:04:59 EST 2006

On Jul 26, 2006, at 5:27 PM, Patrick J. Kelsey wrote:

> Hi,
>
> If have user-mode binaries built for a 750 core, say with gcc -
> mcpu=750, should I expect them to run on a 603e core?  Would I have
> to worry about unsupported instructions or instruction scheduling
> issues?
>
> If there's a better list for this question, please advise.

Sure, there isn't different in the user space instruction sets
between the 750 and 603e core.  The -mcpu is only tweaking
instruction scheduling and making it specific for the 750.  The
instruction scheduling differences aren't that huge if memory serves
me correctly.  The 750 probably takes fewer cycles on multiple and
divides.  I forget if the 750 has any additional execution units that
the 603e didn't have (additional integer units, etc.).

- kumar