setup arch

Robin H. Johnson robbat2 at gentoo.org
Mon Jul 17 17:19:07 EST 2006

(I tried to sent this before, but my mailserver wasn't playing nice).

On Sun, Jul 09, 2006 at 10:09:09AM -0700, Paul Smith wrote:
> I hesitate to lay this one out here because you all
> are way over my head. The regular forums have not
> responded to this in any meaningful way.
> Hi,
>

> Box:
> Quad 2.5 PPC
> 4.5 GB non ecc 533 Ram
> RocketRaid2320
> Nvida 6600 256mb
>

> software resources:
[snip the wrong iso files]

Look in the experimental directory of your local Gentoo mirror for
install-ppc64-minimal-dual-core-2006.0-32ul.iso

I believe this was because the dual-core patches aren't available in time for
the actual release media creation, and this was created later to make the newer
systems usable.

Additionally, unless you're planning on contributing the the Noveau driver for
accelerated 2D/3D support on the Nvidia cards, you won't be getting far with
the nvidia card.

Getting an ATI card will give you working 3D in most cases.  See this list for
what's supported at the bleeding edge:
http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/ATIRadeon#head-298bd23baafb9c2fad1774d1d2fa54bd2aa55e7d

--
Robin Hugh Johnson