AGPGART driver for ArticiaS - ioremap() problem

Gerhard Pircher gerhard_pircher at gmx.net
Fri Jan 20 22:16:38 EST 2006

Doh! :) Actually I meant the aperture base. That was a communication error
between brain and hands. :)

> > Sorry for this dumb question: how can I allocate a resource in the PCI
> > area? I'm not yet familiar with the whole Linux PCI/MM API. :) With
> > something like pci_alloc_consistent()?
>
> Nope... look at drivers/pci/setup-res.c how it does for allocating new
> resources for PCI devices.
I guess you mean something like this code snipped from the efficeon-agp.c
source code (with pci_assign_resource()):

---

/*
 * The following fixes the case where the BIOS has "forgotten" to
 * provide an address range for the GART.
 * 20030610 - hamish at zot.org
 */
r = &pdev->resource[0];
if (!r->start && r->end) {
   if(pci_assign_resource(pdev, 0)) {
      printk(KERN_ERR PFX "could not assign resource 0\n");
      return -ENODEV;
   }
}

/*
 * If the device has not been properly setup, the following will catch
 * the problem and should stop the system from crashing.
 * 20030610 - hamish at zot.org
 */
if (pci_enable_device(pdev)) {
   printk(KERN_ERR PFX "Unable to Enable PCI device\n");
   return -ENODEV;
}

/* Fill in the mode register */
if (cap_ptr) {
   pci_read_config_dword(pdev,
   bridge->capndx+PCI_AGP_STATUS, &bridge->mode);
}

pci_set_drvdata(pdev, bridge);

----

BTW: I took a look at the PCI resources list of the AmigaOne and found out
that the resources of the AGP graphic card are allocated to bus 0 (PCI
only). IMHO their allocation should be assigned to bus 1 (AGP) (at least
this is the case on x86!?), so I think this should be fixed. Is my
assumption correct?

Thanks!

Gerhard