Feedback: Support for fn key on Apple PowerBooks

Michael Hanselmann linux-kernel at hansmi.ch
Wed Jan 18 22:20:49 EST 2006

On Wed, Jan 18, 2006 at 11:27:43AM +0100, Frank Arnold wrote:
> I have some trouble with it. Actually, the mapping of function keys F1
> to F10 seems to be inverse. I have to press fn + function key to get a
> plain function key event. Pressing a function key only gives me those
> fancy new keycodes for brightness, mute, and so on. Page up, Page down,
> Home, and End are working like expected.

Mac OS X behaviour (default):
echo 1 > /sys/modules/usbhid/parameters/pb_fnmode

F keys first:
echo 2 > /sys/modules/usbhid/parameters/pb_fnmode

Disable special keys completly, but report Fn to userland:
echo 0 > /sys/modules/usbhid/parameters/pb_fnmode

You could have been able to find that out easily by looking at the
source code.

Greets,
Michael

--
Gentoo Linux developer, http://hansmi.ch/, http://forkbomb.ch/
"Besides, I think [Slackware] sounds better than 'Microsoft,' don't you?"