kurobox kernel

Mark Glines mark at glines.org
Wed Dec 27 07:14:12 EST 2006

Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> On Mon, 25 Dec 2006, Mark Glines wrote:
>
>> Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
>>
>> Yes, I do very much intend to test it on real hardware.  I have a couple of
>> Kurobox HGs which desperately need a 21st century kernel.  I still need to
>
> Ah, what a pity:-) I mean, it is good, but it's exactly the same hardware
> I developed this port for and tested on. So, it should be easy. If you
> have any problems with your setup, look in linkstation / kurobox mailing
> list archives, I posted some instructions there for setting up a suitable
> u-boot version. Or just ask me. Or I could even just send you binaries to
> start with. Do you have JTag?...

No, I haven't made any hardware mods yet.

Thanks for the offer.  Kernel binaries might actually help, just to make
sure the hardware and bootloader are working properly.

The instructions on
http://www.linuxnotincluded.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/linkstation/u-bootinstall.html
were a little broken in a few places, but still very helpful.  I've got
U-boot 1.1.4 up and running.  It's just booting the old 2.4.17_mvl21
from flash right now... 2.6.20-rc2 fails to boot.

I have ordered some serial port voltage converters, which I hope to use
to get some diagnostics from the 2.6.20-rc2 kernel.  I don't hear any
disk activity, and I wasn't able to get netconsole working, so I think
it is dying fairly early in the boot process.  (At least, before PCI and
network are up.)

Mark