[Openipmi-developer] [patch 1/1] ipmi: add autosensing of ipmi device on powerpc using device-tree

Segher Boessenkool segher at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Dec 12 03:54:29 EST 2006

> Why not this?
>
> device-type = ipmi
> compatible = ipmi-kcs

That's fine too.  Better even, the more I think about it.

> I thought the device-type tells you what kind of bindings to
> use, and the compatible (and/or model) tells you how to
> access it. E.g. all PHBs have device-type=pci and compatible=whatever,
> which tells you how to access the config space registers.

"device_type" (note the spelling -- historical accident)
shows the generic type of the device -- the programming
model for it (for OF, not for the OS necessarily!).

"model" is just the exact device type, for identification/
diagnostic purposes primarily.

"compatible" is a list of identification strings the OS
should use to find a device driver to drive this thing.

Segher