[Openipmi-developer] [patch 1/1] ipmi: add autosensing of ipmi device on powerpc using device-tree

Heiko J Schick info at schihei.de
Tue Dec 12 00:01:33 EST 2006

Hello,

On Dec 11, 2006, at 11:11 AM, Arnd Bergmann wrote:

> I'd like to see (2), because that's what the driver currently expects.
> The common ipmi code in linux _always_ does this calculation
> anyway, and
> (1) only means we have to compute the reg-spacing and reg-size from
> the
> layout of the registers, which gets rather complicated if you have
> more
> than two of them in the reg property.

Yes, that is correct, but what happens if you have three registers
and because of stupid reasons the reg-spacing and reg-size is different.

In (1) you can handle it without problems, in (2) not. Also, where is
the difference if you have to calculate the reg-spacing, etc. (1) or
the addresses (2). The effort is more or less exactly the same.

Regards,
	Heiko