[Openipmi-developer] [patch 1/1] ipmi: add autosensing of ipmi device on powerpc using device-tree

Arnd Bergmann arnd at arndb.de
Sat Dec 9 06:49:01 EST 2006

On Friday 08 December 2006 19:59, Corey Minyard wrote:

> +       if (match->data) {
> +               dev_warn(&dev->dev, "unknown interface type\n");
> +               return -ENODEV;
> +       }
> +
>
> What's this mean?  I don't understand the error.

The check is bogus and should be removed. The effect is that
only SI_KCS can work, all others will be rejected.

> +	info->io.regsize	= resource0.end - resource0.start + 1;
> +	info->io.regspacing	= resource1.start - resource0.start;
>
> Are you sure this is a reliable way to check the register spacing and
> register size?  Register size means "how big is a register (8, 16, 32
> bits)".  Register spacing means (how many bytes are there between
> registers.  If you had two registers that were 8 bits and 4 bytes
> apart, for instance, I don't believe the above calculations would work.

Looks right to me. Assume these of properties

#address-cells: <1>
#size-cells: <1>
reg: <0x100> <1> <0x104> <1> /* start, length, start, length */

converting them to resources gives you

resource0 = { .start = 0x100, .end = 0x100, }
resource1 = { .start = 0x104, .end = 0x104, }

consequently, you end up with

info->io = {
	.regsize = 1,
	.regspacing = 4,
	.addr_data = 0x100,
};

which is exactly what you want.

> +static int ipmi_of_remove(struct of_device *dev)
> +{
> +	return 0;
> +}
>
> With the newest IPMI patches (only in git right now), hot removal of
> interfaces is supported.  Is that what this is for?  If so, you can
> call cleanup_one_si() on the interface.

ok, great.

> Here's a new patch.  Can you test that unloading the module works
> correctly?

Christian has already gone home for the weekend, and I don't have
access to his machine, so testing will probably have to wait until
Monday.

> +static void __devinit of_find_bmc(void)
> +{
> +	of_register_platform_driver(&ipmi_of_platform_driver);
> +}
> +#endif /* CONFIG_PPC_OF */

I guess this function could also be removed entirely, it doesn't
add anything useful.

	Arnd <><