Virtex device tree generator proof of concept

Grant Likely grant.likely at secretlab.ca
Thu Dec 7 10:14:33 EST 2006

On 12/6/06, Stephen Neuendorffer <stephen.neuendorffer at xilinx.com> wrote:

> Hi Grant,
>
> This looks really cool...  I've hacked around in it a bit to generate
> device trees that go more completely through dtc.  (I'd be happy
> to push these modifications back to you, if you're interested...)

Yes please, send me your patches.

> I'm curious if you've heard of anyone using device trees other than
> at boot time: for instance, using an incomplete device tree blob to
> represent components discovered at runtime?  It looks like it should
> be possible to rip out alot of the code from kernel/powerpc/prom.c in
> recent kernels to parse incomplete device trees, too...  Any thoughts?

Possible, but there are probably better ways do deal with those; like
just allocating and registering a platform device; or adding nodes to
the existing tree.  If you're able to probe a device, then do you need
to describe it with a device tree fragment?

What scenario are you thinking about?

Cheers,
g.

--