libnuma interleaving oddness

Andi Kleen ak at suse.de
Wed Aug 30 17:16:30 EST 2006

On Wednesday 30 August 2006 01:57, Christoph Lameter wrote:
> On Tue, 29 Aug 2006, Nishanth Aravamudan wrote:
>
> > I don't know if this is a libnuma bug (I extracted out the code from
> > libnuma, it looked sane; and even reimplemented it in libhugetlbfs for
> > testing purposes, but got the same results) or a NUMA kernel bug (mbind
> > is some hairy code...) or a ppc64 bug or maybe not a bug at all.
> > Regardless, I'm getting somewhat inconsistent behavior. I can provide
> > more debugging output, or whatever is requested, but I wasn't sure what
> > to include. I'm hoping someone has heard of or seen something similar?
>
> Are you setting the tasks allocation policy before the allocation or do
> you set a vma based policy? The vma based policies will only work for
> anonymous pages.

They should work for hugetlb/shmfs too. At least when I originally
wrote it. But the original patch I did for hugetlbfs for that was
never merged and I admit I have never rechecked if it worked with
the patchkit that was merged later. The problem originally was
that hugetlbfs needed to be changed to do allocate-on-demand
instead of allocation-on-mmap, because mbind() comes after mmap()
and when mmap() already allocates it can't work.

-Andi