Broken Firewire 400/SCSI on ppc Powerbook5,8

Wolfgang Pfeiffer roto at gmx.net
Wed Aug 23 10:28:01 EST 2006

Hi Stefan,
Hi All

On Sat, Aug 19, 2006 at 11:13:24AM +0200, Stefan Richter wrote:

          [ ... ]

> The fact that Linux on the AlBook gets at least as far as "ieee1394:
> Error parsing configrom for node 0-00:1023" indicates that not all hope
> is lost. If you have got the time, compile the 1394 drivers for verbose
> logging and send the log. Don't crosspost the log if it gets too big.

Some tests on the Alubook:

I compiled a fresh git kernel now with verbose ieee logging turned on.

$ uname -r
2.6.18-rc4-ieeeverbose-gef7d1b24-dirty

$ zgrep 4_VERBOS /proc/config.gz
CONFIG_IEEE1394_VERBOSEDEBUG=y

Before starting the FW disk I removed all ieee drivers I thought could
be relevant, with this little script:

-------------------------
#!/bin/sh -x
/bin/sh -n /home/shorty/scripts/scsi.stop.sh; \
rmmod raw1394; \
rmmod eth1394;
rmmod ohci1394; \
rmmod sbp2; \
rmmod ieee1394
---------------------------------------

Then, with the FW disk connected to the alubook, but *not yet* powered
on by the latter via a switch at the enclosure which obviously, when
switched on, feeds the current to the firewire disk, thus switching it on:

-----------------------------------
#!/bin/sh -x
/bin/sh -n /home/shorty/scripts/scsi.start.sh ; \

modprobe ieee1394 disable_irm=0; \
sleep 2; \
modprobe ohci1394; \
sleep 2; \
modprobe sbp2; \
sleep 2; \
modprobe raw1394; \
sleep 2
chown root.shorty /dev/raw1394
sleep 4; \
ls /dev/sda

-------------------------------

Only after running the latter script, I switch on the FW disk. The log
for these moments covering about 60 seconds is here:

wolfgangpfeiffer.com/kern.log.when.fw.disk.is.switched.on.txt

Then, some time later on with no /dev/sda available, I run gscanbus,
forcing a bus reset. The log, again covering about 60 seconds is here:

wolfgangpfeiffer.com/kern.log.with.gscanbus.after.failed.fw.connection.txt

Again a bit later I click the 3 icons on the gscanbus window:

Clicking
"Unknown
Linux - ohci1394"

SelfID Info
-----------
Physical ID: 2
Link active: Yes
Gap Count: 63
PHY Speed: Unknown
PHY Delay: <=144ns
IRM Capable: Yes
Power Class: -1W
Port 0: Not connected
Port 1: Connected to child node
Port 2: Not connected
Init. reset: Yes

CSR ROM Info
------------
GUID: 0x001451FFFE3148BE
Node Capabilities: 0x000083C0
Vendor ID: 0x00001451
Unit Spec ID: 0x0000005E
Unit SW Version: 0x00000001
Model ID: 0x00000000
Nr. Textual Leafes: 1

Vendor: Unknown
Textual Leafes:
Linux - ohci1394

AV/C Subunits
-------------
N/A

Clicking

" <question mark>
S400 Unknown":

SelfID Info
-----------
Physical ID: 1
Link active: No
Gap Count: 63
PHY Speed: S400
PHY Delay: <=144ns
IRM Capable: No
Power Class: -1W
Port 0: Not connected
Port 1: Connected to parent node
Port 2: Connected to child node
Init. reset: No

CSR ROM Info
------------
GUID: 0x0000000000000000
Node Capabilities: 0x00000000
Vendor ID: 0x00000000
Unit Spec ID: 0x00000000
Unit SW Version: 0x00000000
Model ID: 0x00000000
Nr. Textual Leafes: 0

Vendor: (null)
Textual Leafes:

AV/C Subunits
-------------
N/A

Clicking a second

" <question mark>
S400 Unknown":

SelfID Info
-----------
Physical ID: 0
Link active: Yes
Gap Count: 63
PHY Speed: S400
PHY Delay: <=144ns
IRM Capable: No
Power Class: None
Port 0: Connected to parent node
Port 1: Not connected
Port 2: Not connected
Init. reset: No

CSR ROM Info
------------
GUID: 0x0000000000000000
Node Capabilities: 0x00000000
Vendor ID: 0x00000000
Unit Spec ID: 0x00000000
Unit SW Version: 0x00000000
Model ID: 0x00000000
Nr. Textual Leafes: 0

Vendor: (null)
Textual Leafes:

AV/C Subunits
-------------
N/A

Please, if you think it might help, let me know if want to change the
scripts to load the ieee drivers ...  (Note the disable_irm=0 in one of
the scripts above .. )

Til then

Best Regards
Wolfgang

--
Wolfgang Pfeiffer: /ICQ: 286585973/ + + +  /AIM: crashinglinux/
http://profiles.yahoo.com/wolfgangpfeiffer

Key ID: E3037113
http://keyserver.mine.nu/pks/lookup?search=0xE3037113&fingerprint=on