PowerPC paxtest results w/ gcc-4.1

Matt Sealey matt at genesi-usa.com
Mon Aug 14 22:17:21 EST 2006

> That looks like a 64-bit system, which doesn't have the
> granularity problem anyway. 32-bit powerpc seems to be
> decent. The heap shares with the executable itself, and of
> course there is the yucky 2 GB limit.

One thing I'm curious about, has anyone EVER made a system which
actually used the 36-bit addressing on the G4?

I always wondered why such support was never in Linux but then
again if nobody connected the other 4 address lines on any PowerPC
board ever made that ran Linux, there's nothing ever to test it
on anyway. It wouldn't be any more problematic (same way as the NX
bit..) than Intel PAE support, right?

--
Matt Sealey <matt at genesi-usa.com>
Manager, Genesi, Developer Relations