[RFC] Adding MTD to device tree

Milton Miller miltonm at bga.com
Sat Aug 12 13:56:47 EST 2006

On  Fri Aug 11 2006 04:10:40 PM CDT, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Friday 11 August 2006 17:31, Sergei Shtylyov wrote:
> > +   h) MTD nodes
> > +
> > +   Memory Technology Devices are flash, ROM, and similar chips, often used
> > +   for solid state file systems on embedded devices.
> > +
> > +   Required properties:
> > +
> > +    - device_type : has to be "mtd"
> > +    - compatible : Should be the name of the MTD driver. Currently, this is
> > +      most likely to be "physmap".
> > +    - reg : Offset and length of the register set for the device.
>
> I would prefer to call them something different in the device tree.
> The name 'mtd' is very specific to Linux, but the device tree
> is a more generic concept.
>
> I understand that the booting-without-of.txt file is by definition
> Linux specific as well, but we should be prepared for making parts
> of it a OS independent binding at the point where we put the same
> device nodes into actual OF implementations that able to boot
> different operating systems.
>
> I would prefer a naming that has
>
>    Required properties:
>     - device_type : one of "nand-flash", "nor-flash", or "rom".
>     - model : an identifier for the actual controller chip used.
>     - compatible : Should be the name of the MTD driver. For
>       type "rom", this is most likely "physmap".

I'm with your suggestion for device_type and model, but not
compatable.   "physmap"?  What kind of device is that?  A
command set name, maybe with a width, would be
appropriate.   Physmap is the name of another linux driver.
Something like direct or linear might be appropriate for a rom,
where just address and length appear.  Even rom would be
better than physmap.

milton