[RFC] New target 'cuImage' - compatibility uImage

Matthew McClintock msm at freescale.com
Fri Aug 4 02:24:06 EST 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-04 at 00:17 +0800, Li Yang wrote:

> Though it will need more space, the increase won't be too much as
> wrapper and FDT should be very small.  The benefit is that kernel can
> be extract directly to it's destination(address 0), rather than
> extract to another place and then move it there.  A classical
> time/space tradeoff.

I'm not sure that is correct. Let me walk through the steps to verify.

1) Load cuImage at a load address
2) Extract zImage at an address and begin execution
3) Copy kernel to load address and fixup DTB, etc.
4) Start kernel execution

versus...

1) Load cuImage at a load address
2) Copy zImage to an address and begin execution
3) Extract kernel to load address and fixup DTB, etc.
4) Start kernel execution

There will always be that extra copy in there vs. just running the
zImage itself. This is to maintain compatibility with older u-boots,
which is the main point of this target.

Am I missing something here?

-Matthew