RFC: Location for Device Tree Sources?

Tom Rini trini at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Aug 3 04:57:28 EST 2006

Matthew said:
> The sandpoint (as far as I know) does not have a stable DTS. So in this
> case including the DTS in the kernel would reduce confusion. The same
> could be said for other boards where the DTS needed to be changed for
> the IRQ rework. The old DTS will no longer boot the new kernels. I'm not
> sure how much longer we will run into this problem though.

Now, if we've had to change the contents of the DTS because of a kernel
change, I'd say the DTS format changed as when I say format I mean not
only layout and naming, but what the contents are supposed to contain.

And, so it's clear, I don't know if we're at the very stable format
(names/layout/content means...), but when we are at that point, what
Matthew noted should, IMHO, be a graceful (ie explained in the panic()
or something) death.

And, so it's clear, I think (and hope!) we all agree on that last part,
once we hit stability.

--
Tom Rini