RFC: Location for Device Tree Sources?

Mark A. Greer mgreer at mvista.com
Thu Aug 3 04:42:43 EST 2006

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 01:22:55PM -0500, Matthew McClintock wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-08-02 at 11:22 -0700, Mark A. Greer wrote:
> > Well, if you're going to keep prebuilt dtb files there, why wouldn't
> > you
> > want the dts that makes that dtb to be in the same place?
> >

> One option is the *just* include the working tested DTB files in the
> kernel source. That way there is a method to boot the boards. If you end
> user wants to work with a different DTB they can go download the DTS
> from another source (or optionally derive the DTS from the DTB) and make
> changes.

It probably would be handier to have the dtb there but its a source
tree, so let's keep source there.

It'll just be a fact of life for a non-devtree fw platform user that
they need to find and use dtc and an attach tool to stick the dtb
onto the zImage.

> That way we do not have to include 'dtc' in the kernel, and we still

I don't think anyone was actually serious about including dtc in the kernel.

> have a valid DTB for every board included in the kernel. Also, there is
> no reason to include both the DTB and DTS in the kernel considering they
> can be easily derived from one another using 'dtc'

Mark