RFC: Location for Device Tree Sources?

Mark A. Greer mgreer at mvista.com
Thu Aug 3 04:22:26 EST 2006

On Tue, Aug 01, 2006 at 08:12:29PM -0500, Josh Boyer wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 17:35 -0700, Mark A. Greer wrote:

> > > I believe in his latest patches he removed this part. The device trees
> > > were not included at all and he left this point open for discussion.
> >
> > That's correct.
> >
> > TBH, I think its wrong to keep them in the kernel source at all--yes,
> > the same argument could be made for arch/powerpc/boot but that's been
> > settled.
>
> Sorry, I have to disagree.  We're talking about device tree _source_
> files here.  I believe they should be included in the kernel source.
> Where that is, I don't have a particularly strong argument but they
> should be included.

I would agree that its certainly _easier_ to keep them in the src tree.
The only good argument for why its _right_--that I've seen so far--is
by Kumar (i.e., so you have a dts that you know will boot on that kernel).

> > We already have dtc kept externally to the kernel source.  Why not
> > keep a single site where all things necessary to powerpc linux are kept?
> > It could house dtc, the dt attach tool, and all the dt source files.
>
> I think hosting the dtc, the dt attach tool, and pre-built dtb files for
> each platform in one spot would be a good idea.

Well, if you're going to keep prebuilt dtb files there, why wouldn't you
want the dts that makes that dtb to be in the same place?

Mark