alignment exceptionhandler sleeps in invalid context

Paul Mackerras paulus at samba.org
Sat Apr 29 09:41:17 EST 2006

Kumar Gala writes:

> I was going to ask how this was actually hit.  It seems odd that we
> would have an alignment error in the network stack.  From the oops
> can we determine what the instruction was that faulted and what
> address it was trying to access.

No, it's not particularly odd, given that our get_unaligned() and
put_unaligned() in include/asm-powerpc/unaligned.h just do a single
access.  That makes the common case (address is actually aligned, or
cpu handles it in hardware) fast at the expense of occasionally taking
an alignment exception.

Paul.