[Fastboot] Documentation feedback request.

Michael Ellerman michael at ellerman.id.au
Thu Apr 27 09:44:31 EST 2006

Hi David,

Nice work. Few comments below ...

On Wed, 2006-04-26 at 10:49 -0700, David Wilder wrote:
> Attached is a updated  Documentation/kdump/kdump.txt.  Please provide
> comments.  I will incorporate your feedback and send up to Linus.
>
> plain text document attachment (kdump-final-20060425.txt)
> Documentation for Kdump - The kexec-based Crash Dumping Solution
>
> This document includes overview, setup and installation, and analysis
> information.
>
> Overview
> ========
>
> Kdump uses kexec to quickly boot to a dump-capture kernel whenever a
> dump of the system kernel's memory needs to be taken (for example, when
> the system panics). The system kernel's memory image is preserved across
> the reboot and is accessible to the dump-capture kernel.
>
> You can use common Linux commands, such as cp and scp, to copy the
> memory image to a dump file on the local disk, or across the network to
> a remote system.
>
> Kdump and kexec are currently supported on the x86, x86_64, and ppc64
> architectures.

s/ppc64/64-bit powerpc/ ?

> When the system kernel boots, it reserves a small section of memory for
> the dump-capture kernel. This ensures that ongoing Direct Memory Access
> (DMA) from the system kernel does not corrupt the dump-capture kernel.
> The kexec -p command loads the dump-capture kernel into this reserved
> memory.

Well hopefully ;)

> [...]
> passed to the dump-capture kernel through the elfcorehdr= boot
> parameter.
>
> With the dump-capture kernel, you can access the memory image, or "old
> memory," in two ways:
>
> - Through a /dev/oldmem device interface. A capture utility can read the
>   device file and write out the memory in raw format. This is a raw dump
>   of memory. Analysis and capture tools must be intelligent enough to
>   determine where to look for the right information.
>
> - Through /proc/vmcore. This exports the dump as an ELF-format file that
>   you can write out using file copy commands such as cp or scp. Further,
>   you can use analysis tools such as the GNU Debugger (GDB) and the Crash
>   tool to debug the dump file. This method ensures that the dump pages are
>   correctly ordered.
>

> Setup and Installation
> ======================
>
> Install kexec-tools and the Kdump patch
> ---------------------------------------
>
> 1) Login as the root user.
>
> 2) Download the kexec-tools user-space package from the following URL:
>
>    http://www.xmission.com/~ebiederm/files/kexec/kexec-tools-1.101.tar.gz
>
> 3) Unpack the tarball with the tar command, as follows:
>
>    tar xvpzf kexec-tools-1.101.tar.gz
>
> 4) Download the latest consolidated Kdump patch from the following URL:
>
>    http://lse.sourceforge.net/kdump/
>
>    (This location is being used until all the user-space Kdump patches
>    are integrated with the kexec-tools package.)
>
> 5) Change to the kexec-tools-1.101 directory, as follows:
>
>    cd kexec-tools-1.101
>
> 6) Apply the consolidated patch to the kexec-tools-1.101 source tree
>    with the patch command, as follows. (Modify the path to the downloaded
>    patch as necessary.)
>
>    patch -p1 < /path-to-kdump-patch/kexec-tools-1.101-kdump.patch
>
> 7) Configure the package, as follows:
>
>    ./configure
>
> 8) Compile the package, as follows:
>
>    make
>
> 9) Install the package, as follows:
>
>    make install
>

> Download and build the system and dump-capture kernels
>
> Download the mainline (vanilla) kernel source code (2.6.13-rc1 or newer)
> from http://www.kernel.org. Two kernels must be built: a system kernel
> and a dump-capture kernel. Use the following steps to configure these
> kernels with the necessary kexec and Kdump features:
>
> System kernel
> -------------
>
> 1) Enable "kexec system call" in "Processor type and features."
>
>    CONFIG_KEXEC=y
>
> 2) Enable "sysfs file system support" in "Filesystem" -> "Pseudo
>    filesystems." This is usually enabled by default.
>
>    CONFIG_SYSFS=y
>
>    Note that "sysfs file system support" might not appear in the "Pseudo
>    filesystems" menu if "Configure standard kernel features (for small
>    systems)" is not enabled in "General Setup." In this case, check the
>    .config file itself to ensure that sysfs is turned on, as follows:

Is there a particular requirement for sysfs?

> 3) Enable "Compile the kernel with debug info" in "Kernel hacking."
>
>    CONFIG_DEBUG_INFO=Y
>
>    This causes the kernel to be built with debug symbols. The dump
>    analysis tools require a vmlinux with debug symbols in order to read
>    and analyze a dump file.
>
> 4) Make and install the kernel and its modules. Update the boot loader
>    (such as grub, yaboot, or lilo) configuration files as necessary.
>
> 5) Boot the system kernel with the boot parameter "crashkernel=Y at X",
>    where Y specifies how much memory to reserve for the dump-capture kernel
>    and X specifies the beginning of this reserved memory. For example,
>    "crashkernel=64M at 16M" tells the system kernel to reserve 64 MB of memory
>    starting at physical address 0x01000000 for the dump-capture kernel.

Most of this doesn't apply to powerpc.

>    On x86 and x86_64, use "crashkernel=64M at 16M".
>
>    On ppc64, use "crashkernel=128M at 32M".

No just use "crashkernel=128M".

> The dump-capture kernel
> -----------------------
>
> 1) Under "General setup," append "-kdump" to the current string in
>    "Local version."
>
> 2) On x86, enable high memory support under "Processor type and
>    features":
>
>    CONFIG_HIGHMEM=y
>
> 3) On x86 and x86_64, disable symmetric multi-processing support
>    under "Processor type and features":
>
>    CONFIG_SMP=n
>
> 4) On ppc64, disable NUMA support and enable EMBEDDED support:
>
>    CONFIG_NUMA=n
>    CONFIG_EMBEDDED=y
>    CONFIG_EEH=N for the dump-capture kernel

Why are we disabling NUMA? AFAIK we work on more systems with NUMA than
without?
And why are we turning off EMBEDDED and EEH?

> 5) Enable "kernel crash dumps" support under "Processor type and
>    features":
>
>    CONFIG_CRASH_DUMP=y
>
> 6) Use a suitable value for "Physical address where the kernel is
>    loaded" (under "Processor type and features"). This only appears when
>    "kernel crash dumps" is enabled. By default this value is 0x1000000
>    (16MB). It should be the same as X in the "crashkernel=Y at X" boot
>    parameter discussed above.
>
>    On x86 and x86_64, use "CONFIG_PHYSICAL_START=0x1000000".
>
>    On ppc64 the value is automatically set at 32MB when
>    CONFIG_CRASH_DUMP is set.

This whole step should start "On x86 ..."

> 6) Optionally enable "/proc/vmcore support" under "Filesystems" ->
>    "Pseudo filesystems".

6 + 1 = 6 :D

>    CONFIG_PROC_VMCORE=y
>
> 7) Make and install the kernel and its modules. DO NOT add this kernel
>    to the boot loader configuration files.
>

> Load the Dump-capture Kernel
> ============================
>
> After booting to the system kernel, load the dump-capture kernel using
> the following command:
>
>    kexec -p <dump-capture-kernel> \
>    --initrd=<initrd-for-dump-capture-kernel> --args-linux \
>    --append="root=<root-dev> init 1 irqpoll"

I've never tested irqpoll on powerpc, I'm not sure we want to recommend
it, has someone tested it?

fastboot at lists.osdl.org

cheers

--
Michael Ellerman
IBM OzLabs

wwweb: http://michael.ellerman.id.au
phone: +61 2 6212 1183 (tie line 70 21183)

We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors,
we borrow it from our children. - S.M.A.R.T Person