FT u-boot shim

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Apr 27 00:37:09 EST 2006

On Apr 25, 2006, at 5:28 PM, Wolfgang Denk wrote:

> In message
> <DAD4396E-7458-471C-8150-9DDCD396BA63 at kernel.crashing.org> you wrote:
>>
>>> No. Remove them from the U-Boot tree. I was never happy to  see
>>> this
>>> stuff there.
>>
>> Then why did you accept the patches for them?  I'm confused on what
>
> Because I  had  neither  time  nor  nerves  to  discuss  with  kernel
> maintainers how this could be done. Several people asked me again and
> again  to  accept  these  patches  because  they  were  vital for FDT
> support, so I gave in.
>
>> you see as the solution for how to boot an arch/powerpc kernel going
>> forward.
>
> I strongly agree with Dan and Eugene: the kernel should not depend on
> any specific version of a boot loader, and more general not  even  on
> any specific boot loader at all.

I think thats part of the idea with arch/powerpc defining a standard
mechanism for how a boot loader should pass information to the kernel
(via a flat device tree).

How would you propose that we handle booting arch/powerpc kernels
from u-boot going forward? (for new board ports and existing board
ports).

- kumar