FT u-boot shim

Eugene Surovegin ebs at ebshome.net
Wed Apr 26 07:38:57 EST 2006

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 03:00:05PM -0500, Kumar Gala wrote:

> If we have a u-boot shim there are some questions that need answering:
> * where should the .dts live (hate duplicating the file both in u-
> boot and kernel source tree)

I have no strong opinion on this, maybe arch/powerpc/boot/85xx or
something. Although we may require having U-Boot tree somewhere I
don't particularly like this solution, it's better to keep kernel
self-contained, even if it requires some duplication. I personally
don't see this as an issue, because I assume this file isn't gonna
change frequently anyway.

Also, I think it's much safer to have this file in the kernel, this
way we will avoid potential problems with using different U-Boot
versions with different versions.

> * how does build system find .dts

If we go with "we-need-U-Boot-tree" solution, we can add Kconfig
option to specify path to U-Boot tree.

> * a Kconfig option to enable shim

Yes, there should be an option, for boards which can support old and
new U-Boot it should be user-selectable with old U-Boot being
a default. For boards which support only one type of U-Boot, this
option can be selected automatically.

> * assume done as a boot wrapper of sorts

Yeah, probably.

--
Eugene