85xx FDT updates?

Eugene Surovegin ebs at ebshome.net
Wed Apr 26 06:04:04 EST 2006

On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 02:58:34PM -0500, Andy Fleming wrote:
> Well, let's discuss this hypothetical shim layer.  It's fairly
> straightforward to incorporate a device tree into the kernel, and
> hook it up.  The only issue is the elements of the flat device tree
> which are dynamic.  All of this information is passed in the bd_t or
> the command line arguments, though, so it should be possible to hook
> them up.
>
> Would it be acceptable to require a new command-line argument (I'm
> thinking specifically of the stdout device path, normally passed in
> the "chosen" node of the oftree) to be passed in the bootargs?  Or is
> u-boot absolutely unupdateable on these swiftly-aging systems?

Andy, I think we have to try to not making any changes to the way old
U-Boot operates, including adding additional boot args. It doesn't
matter _how_ information is passed between firmware and kernel (in
bd_t or command line), the moment we add additional requirement
which never existed before - we break this interface.

--
Eugene