85xx FDT updates?

Kumar Gala galak at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Apr 26 04:31:21 EST 2006

On Apr 25, 2006, at 1:24 PM, Eugene Surovegin wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 25, 2006 at 01:14:55PM -0500, Kumar Gala wrote:
>>
>>> What you will end up with is that that small amount of embedded
>>> people
>>> who bother to contribute something back will stop doing this. We are
>>> more than capable of maintaining our internal kernel trees :).
>>
>> I'm not sure what to say to this.  Things need to move forward at
>> some point.
>
> I don't see how removing features and breaking compatibility with
> almost _all_ current embedded PPC boards boards is "moving forward".
> Enlighten me, please.

I'm not talking about all embedded PPC boards.  I'm taking about the
subset that exists for 85xx.  Also, its moving forward as the
standard way of booting future systems.

>> I still not clear as to what exactly you are advocating
>> beyond that we should keep the arch/ppc code around for ever.
>
> Providing compatibility for non-flat-tree firmware. This doesn't mean
> keeping arch/ppc.

And how do you suggest we do this?  My argument is for the boards I'm
talking about updating u-boot is the easiest and most straight
forward solution.  I'm not advocating this at the right solution for
all boards.

- kumar