_machine removal breaks kexec?

Haren Myneni haren at us.ibm.com
Tue Apr 4 04:18:45 EST 2006

Kumar Gala wrote:

>On Apr 3, 2006, at 11:16 AM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
>

>>On Mon, 2006-04-03 at 11:40 +1000, Anton Blanchard wrote:
>>

>>>Hi,
>>>
>>>It looks like the _machine removal broke kexec:
>>>
>>> # kexec -l vmlinux
>>> /proc/device-tree/chosen/linux,platform: No such file or directory
>>>
>>>The kexec tools seem to want the linux,platform property:
>>>
>>>        /* if LPAR, no need to read any more from /chosen */
>>>        if (platform != PLATFORM_PSERIES) {
>>>                closedir(cdir);
>>>                continue;
>>>        }
>>>

>>Damn.... the platform numbers are gone, we need to fix that. (And
>>nobody
>>complained when I posted the patch twice over the past couple of
>>monthes
>>btw).
>>
>>I suppose kexec needs to look for /rtas/hypertas or such ..
>>

>uugh, can we make kexec not depend on something that embedded systems
>would also have.

Basically, kexec-tools looks the platform property to determine whether
to read tce-base, tce-size and htab-* properties. The attached patch
find out the platform info based on /proc/device-tree/chosen/htab-base
property. Not tested yet.
Kumar,  kexec-tools completely depends on device-tree.  Not sure whether
the embedded system exports the device-tree.

Thanks
Haren