PATCH powerpc: Merge asm-ppc*/sections.h

Jon Loeliger jdl at freescale.com
Wed Sep 14 23:46:28 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-09-13 at 21:35, Arnd Bergmann wrote:
> On Dinsdag 13 September 2005 22:43, Jon Loeliger wrote:
> > Here is a patch to merge asm-ppc*/sections.h.
> >
> > If anyone knows if we can do better here,
> > please feel free to abuse, er, let me know!
>
> Ok, I don't like this patch.

You will be pleased to know, then, that Becky and I both
didn't like this patch either. :-)

> IMHO for the architecture merge, we should
> have a common implementation of this, either always using per-platform
> sections or never using them, meaning that we get rid of this file.

Yeah.

> At the very least, the __*func() macros should go away, they are completely
> bogus.

I'll work on eliminating those (at least) and submitting a
cleanup patch for that as needed.

> Using the sections in arch/powerpc has the obvious advantage that it
> reduces the size of the running kernel, but also has a certain amount
> of bug-potential or at least makes the code slightly more ugly.
> It is also easier to remove the feature in ppc than adding it in ppc64.

In the Grand Scheme of Things, removing things and making them
simpler seems a lofty goal. :-)   Anyone know of any pitfalls that
await me if I try to remove these sections, a la pmac and friends?
And I assume that the obvious mappings can take place (ie, that
"pmac.text" can just be placed in regular .text, etc), right?

> The users of the ppc64 function in_kernel_text() can probably be converted
> to the generic is_kernel_text() function.

I'll peer into that a bit too.

> 	Arnd <><

Thanks!
jdl