30 bits DMA and ppc

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Mon Oct 31 08:14:18 EST 2005

> Keep in mind that those 16MB are cache inhibited. Not sure you'd want
> that for the bounce buffer. And you can't map the same page as cacheable
> or you'll end up in inconsistent state. I guess you could remap the 14MB
> as 4K cacheable pages somewhere else.

Euh... I think that's exactly what we do :) We _unmap_ the 16Mb page
from the linear mapping, and we remap a part of it using ioremap() (thus
as 4k pages) in the DART driver... The remaining bits are thus not
mapped at all, there is no problem using __ioremap() to get a cacheable
mapping there.

> Some of the Infiniband and Myrinet adapters like to map as much as they
> possibly can. I'm not sure what the likeliness of them being used on a
> machine at the same time as one of these crippled devices is though.

Why would this be a problem ? The infiniband driver would hopefully have
a sane dma_mask, and thus it's mapping requests wouldn't hit the swiotlb
code path.
.
> Besides, they usually back off a bit from allocating everything in the
> system, so there should be some room.
>
> > I tend to prefer the later solution ...
>
> Sounds reasonable to me too. I guess time will tell how hairy it gets,
> implementation-wise. The implementation could also be nicely abstracted
> away and isolated thanks to Stephen's per-device-dma-ops stuff.

Yes, though that's not strictly necessary. The dma_mask should be enough
to tell us wether to use the normal code path or the swiotlb one. So if
swiotlb is enabled, it could just be added to the normal code path for
the non-iommu case. For the iommu case, I'm not sure. I think we don't
need bounce buffering. I could fairly easily have the DART code limit
allocations to a given DMA mask. The TCE one may have more issues since
the DMA window of a given slot may not fit the requirements, but in that
case, it's probably just a matter of failing all mapping requests.

Ben.