How the linux use BAT

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Sat Oct 29 08:39:04 EST 2005

On Fri, 2005-10-28 at 10:56 -0500, Noah yan wrote:

> I am sorry that I did make it clear. It is a little confusing for me
> between the hardware segment and the term "segment" or "section" used
> in a process's address space (AS). One of my understanding is that a
> section in a process's AS is mapped to a hardware segment, which sound
> straightforward but maybe wrong because a process binary may have lots
> of segments that are not the same size.

No, there is no relationship. The kernel just sets up enough segments to
map the entire process address space, this is irrelevant to the actual
program sections.

> Pure segment VM is also hard to maintain memory efficiency.  Or,
> several sections, such as different data section are in segments. I
> remember in Linux x86 (posibbly 2.4), segment is not fully used in
> term of VM. The segmentation of the kernel and userland are defined
> upon booting and never changed later on.

The segmentation mecanism on PowerPC is slightly different. We change
segments when context switching as they contain the "vsid" which acts as
a kind of context ID, thus we can keep entry for more than one
context/process in the hash table, we don't have to flush it on context
switches.