Reading DVDs on a Mac mini

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Tue May 24 09:41:33 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-23 at 22:07 +0200, Tom Parker wrote:

> The version of libdvdread in use is 0.9.4 (the Debian 0.9.4-5
> libdvdread3 package).
>
> hdparm settings for /dev/hdb (the DVD/CD-ROM drive):
>
>   IO_support   =  0 (default 16-bit)
>   unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
>   using_dma    =  0 (off)
>   keepsettings =  0 (off)
>   readonly     =  0 (off)
>   readahead    = 256 (on)
>   HDIO_GETGEO failed: Invalid argument
>
> hdparm -i says the drive is a "MATSHITACD-RW CW-8124".
>
> Any ideas? Because I'm all out of ideas, and I hope someone on here can
> help.

Does the debian package of libdvdread contains the CSS stuff ? Also, the
lack of "using_dma" is annoying... It looks like our CD/DVD kernel
driver is still dumb and still switches DMA off on any stupid error...

Have you tried booting OS X and playing the DVD once ? Maybe the drive
wants a zone to be set at least once, which MacOS does the first time
you play a DVD

Ben.