2GB address space limit on 32-bit PowerPC Macintosh

Dan Malek dan at embeddededge.com
Tue May 17 07:02:27 EST 2005

On May 16, 2005, at 4:43 PM, Mark A. Greer wrote:

> I think I understand all of that.  I wasn't clear in my email.  I was
> talking about "fixing" such that 3GB works (i.e., io_block_mapping are
> above 3GB virt, if possible) not "fixing" such that we can get rid of
> io_block_mapping altogether.  We still need io_block_mapping for
> exactly the reasons you state.

I think I've seen hacks from you that temporarily set up BATs for
serial console
access until the BAT is forcefully re-used later :-)  I just wanted to
document the
issue for everyone, that breaking this is more than just a five minute
fix and
test exercise (which may only further obfuscate a hack than actually
change
anything) :-)

Thanks.

	-- Dan