2GB address space limit on 32-bit PowerPC Macintosh

Dan Malek dan at embeddededge.com
Tue May 17 01:04:50 EST 2005

On May 16, 2005, at 2:21 AM, Kumar Gala wrote:

> On May 16, 2005, at 12:52 AM, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
>> Agreed. I'll fix PReP/CHRP/pmac & defconfig. Every embedded board
>>  vendor/maintainer will be responsible for fixing his/her boards
>> support.
>
> Agreed.  We should probably send an email to linuxppc-embedded with a
> more proper subject line to let people know.

There isn't any reason to break everything and force updates.  If
someone wants
a 3G task size, then just configure that with the advanced options.
All of that
grew out of the embedded board support, so just make PMac support it
too.
In particular, I don't want to force the 8xx to a 3G task space,
because it adds
more instructions to the TLB handlers, on a system that has never
required
such application space.  We are 12 releases in 2.6, and it still seems
like
a development kernel :-)  I think if someone wants this feature on a
board
port that doesn't support it, then just fix that one board port instead
of breaking
everything.

Thanks.

	-- Dan