2GB address space limit on 32-bit PowerPC Macintosh

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Mon May 16 15:52:00 EST 2005

> > We need to fix that too :) Though I suppose we can just switch that to
> >  page tables, I don't really see the point of using a BAT here...
>
> Are the embedded board ports broken because of similar
> io_block_mapping() calls or for some other reason?

Mostly because of the above, though some embedded ports may do even more
horrible things for what i know :) The problem with io_block_mapping()
is that 1) it lets you put those BARs or mappings where you want, and 2)
you end up with plenty of code hard-coding this virtual address here or
there that need to be fixed.

> I'm in agreement that we should bump TASK_SIZE to 3GB and fix things,
> how about after 2.6.12 is out?

Agreed. I'll fix PReP/CHRP/pmac & defconfig. Every embedded board
vendor/maintainer will be responsible for fixing his/her boards support.

Ben.