PREP sym53c8xx sym53c8xx brokeness due to 2.6.9-rc1-bk1 introduced residual data patch ...

Sven Luther sven.luther at wanadoo.fr
Tue Mar 29 09:23:55 EST 2005

Hello,

I have been investigating the prep breakage of the sym53c8xx driver on my
powerstack II in recent kernels, and traced it to the residual data patch,
or more exactly to the whole prep_pci.c/prep_setup.c patches that where
introduced between 2.6.9-rc1 and 2.6.9-rc1-bk1. I didn't have time to find
more details as the patch is not so small, and seems to do many things, and
linux.bkbits.net seems done right now.

Mmm, after a bit more of investigation, the changeset breaking it is :

# This is a BitKeeper generated diff -Nru style patch.
#
# ChangeSet
#   2004/08/16 10:35:18-07:00 trini at kernel.crashing.org
#   ppc32: On PReP, use residual data for PCI dev -> IRQ, and use it.
#
#   Signed-off-by: Leigh Brown <leigh at solinno.co.uk>
#   Signed-off-by: Tom Rini <trini at kernel.crashing.org>
#
# include/asm-ppc/residual.h
#   2004/08/16 10:35:09-07:00 trini at kernel.crashing.org +7 -0
#   This adds a function to use the residual data to determine the IRQ
#   for a given PCI device, and changes prep_pcibios_fixup() to use it.
#
# arch/ppc/platforms/residual.c
#   2004/08/16 10:35:09-07:00 trini at kernel.crashing.org +60 -0
#   This adds a function to use the residual data to determine the IRQ
#   for a given PCI device, and changes prep_pcibios_fixup() to use it.
#
# arch/ppc/platforms/prep_pci.c
#   2004/08/16 10:35:09-07:00 trini at kernel.crashing.org +37 -23
#   This adds a function to use the residual data to determine the IRQ
#   for a given PCI device, and changes prep_pcibios_fixup() to use it.

Mmm, i guess this makes sense, since it seems the sym53c8xx doesn'y find its
irq anymore or something. Tom Rini, or Leigh Brown, do you have any comments
on this one ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther