ASM formatting rules?

Matt Porter mporter at kernel.crashing.org
Tue Mar 29 03:22:03 EST 2005

On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 09:56:11AM -0700, Tom Rini wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 28, 2005 at 10:44:17AM -0600, Kumar Gala wrote:
> > Guys,
> >
> > While this is not overly important to me, I was wondering if we had any
> > rules related to formatting of assembly files.  We seem to have code
> > formatted with and without spaces in the args.
> >
> > I'm assuming something like this (w/o spaces):
> >
> > <TAB>insn<TAB>argD,arg1,arg2
> >
> > is what we want?  Just trying to get a rule documented going forward.
>
> My preference is for spaces after each , just because it makes it
> visually clearer (and I don't always have instant mental insn->#args
> mental mapping :)).

As long as there is <TAG>insn<TAB>, I don't have strong feelings
about the arg spacing.  I feel that spaces between args really
don't enhance readability (why I have none between args in
head_44x.S) but I can live with them.

I think this is a good idea to get some consistency throughout
ppc32 asm.

-Matt