mv64x60 updates

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Wed Mar 9 13:01:35 EST 2005

On Mon, 2005-03-07 at 12:30 +0000, James Chapman wrote:
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> A few general comments:-
>
> - mv64x60 stuff is best posted to linuxppc-embedded
>
> - you change several generic files to support your platform. It should
>    be possible to support new mv64x60 platforms by writing a new
>    xxx_setup.c file in arch/ppc/platforms with no other generic changes.
>    It is a goal that all mv64x60 boards can be supported by the generic
>    code in arch/ppc/syslib. If some changes need to be made outside
>    arch/ppc/platforms to support your board, try to make them generic so
>    that other similar boards would be able to use them. I suggest you
>    clone chrp_setup.c or katana.c rather than adding conditionals in
>    chrp_setup.c for your board. Then use code in your board specific
>    setup file to call arch/ppc/syslib mv64x60 routines as appropriate.

Welcome to the world of embedded people who use #ifdef's for their
platforms :)

Pegasos claims to be chrp compliant, and so uses chrp_setup.c and relies
on other chrp related bits. The point here is to limit the platform
specific code and use the device-tree as much as is possible. Though I
agree that Nicals patch introduce wrong dependencies (I need to do a
deeper review of it).

If chrp_setup.c indeed ends up beeing cluttered by too much Pegasos
specific stuff, then it will be time to do split pegasos to a different
platform type as part of CONFIG_PPC_MULTIPLATFORM.

Now as far as his patch is concernd, the whole is_pegasos2() stuff is
too ugly for words, I agree. If he really needs so, then he should add
an argument to mv64x60_init() in order to customize it's behaviour.
Though I haven't looked at the code to see why he's trying to skip
stuffs here.

> - you shouldn't need to add board-specific changes in mv643xx_eth.c.
>    Setup device platform data for your board in your platform file.
>    If something needs to be added to the platform data for a generic
>    change to mv643xx_eth, do that rather than add platform conditionals
>    in the driver.

Agreed, though I think that's almost there now.

> - why do you need to use SA_SHIRQ in the ethernet driver?

Why don't use use it ? SA_INTERRUPT is crap and should probably be
removed from the driver.

Benjamin Herrenschmidt <benh at kernel.crashing.org>