set_phys_avail() futures question

Benjamin Herrenschmidt benh at kernel.crashing.org
Thu Jun 30 09:56:51 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-06-29 at 16:14 -0500, Jon Loeliger wrote:
> Ben (primarily),
>
> I'd like to get your opinion on what the future of
> arch/ppc/mm/init.c/set_phys_avail() looks like.
> Currently, its job is to traverse the mem_pieces data
> and remove a whole series of #ifdef'ed regions of
> memory based on configuration options.  These regions
> are the initrd, the RTAS data, and the AGP special page.
>
> Do you see these regions as being explicitly listed in
> the proposed  "reserved memory blocks" area of the Flat
> Dev Tree header structure?

Yes. initrd for sure, RTAS too, AGP special page well ... I have to
check if we still use that one at all... but it's not allocated in
prom_init so it may need it's own little bit here still.

> If so, then they would follow the same conceptual flow
> as the ppc64 reservations in the LMB.  They would then
> be SetPagReserved() and removed from the do_init_bootmem()
> regions of memory as well.

I'm not sure we actually need to explicitely call SetPageReserved(), do
we ? As long as they are not returned to the free pool ...  Oh well,
that can't hurt :)

Ben.