ppc32: Rework power management take #3

Wolfram Quester wolfi at mittelerde.physik.uni-konstanz.de
Mon Jun 6 19:34:11 EST 2005

Hi Ben,

On Sat, Jun 04, 2005 at 08:43:57AM +1000, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:

> > Normally I use rivafb, but I tried video=ofonly and did not get a
> > freeze. I tried it three times and I hope that this is good statistics.
> > With 2.6.12-rc2 and riva fb I got the freeze in about 80% of all initial
> > suspends, with rc{4,5-git6} and riva fb I had it everytime. But it may
> > still well be that there is a random component since I learned to
> > workaround the problem by switching to tty1 and thus don't trigger the
> > freeze condition that often.
>
> Ok, what happens if you run rivafb, ssh into the box, and open a new tty
> (that is leave the box on X, but do something like echo "toto"
> >/dev/tty8) to create a new tty in the background.
>
> Does that trigger the freeze ?
>
> Ben.

OK, I tried that in some variations. If I do as you suggest, nothing
happens, I can login and use X as normal. But as soon as I try to switch
to tty1, the machine freezes. Without this ssh-stuff I can switch to
tty1 and back and be happy.

Then I rebooted, ssh'd into the box and added the line
8:23:respawn:/sbin/getty 38400 tty8
to open getty on tty8. I did telinit q to reload the init config and got
the same thing as described above. After a reboot and leaving the line
intact I could switch to tty8 and be happy.

Again, I ssh'd into the box and opened tty9 via echo... which lead to
the behaviour already described.

This looks to me as if it fails to switch to a tty which was not
allocated before.

Thanks for looking into this,

Wolfi