help: FCC_ENET OF MPC8250

gqbenjamin at 21cn.com gqbenjamin at 21cn.com
Wed Jul 13 12:41:36 EST 2005

Hi,

I use a device, like SMARTBITS, to test the Ethernet rate of mpc8250. The kernel is linux-2.4.20 with CONFIG_FCC_LXT971 and CONFIG_USE_MDIO, and do 'cat "1">/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward'.

If the rate of sending IP packet been set too high, for example 100 Mbps Full Duplex and each packet is 1514 Bytes. Later, the kernel print '... Memory squeeze, dropping packet' on uart. Stop sending IP packet and do 'cat /proc/meminfo', the *MemFree* become small.

Try again, the *MemFree* become smaller, just look like some allocated memory (skbuf) do not be free.

Final, the kernel break down, because all memory have been used.

Q. How can I do to let kernel do not break down? Is it a kernel promblem?

PS:
I use linux-2.6.5 on mpc8250 for the same test, and get the same result.
I change some code in file skbuff.c, use a memory pool that I created instead of allocating *skb* from *MemFree*, and do the same test. Final, the kernel can not transmit any IP packet, beacuse all space in the pool been used, but do not break down.

Thanks for your reading.

e-mail: gqben at sina.com gqbenjamin at 163.com gqbenjamin at 21cn.com

vgoÌåÑé×ÀÃæ¿ì¸Ð£¬ÏíÊÜ¿íƵÀÖȤ£¡
http://vgo.21cn.com