PATCH: Add memreserve to DTC

David Gibson david at gibson.dropbear.id.au
Tue Jul 12 12:01:26 EST 2005

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 04:22:30PM -0500, Jon Loeliger wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-07-10 at 23:55, David Gibson wrote:
> > On Fri, Jul 08, 2005 at 04:44:58PM -0500, Jon Loeliger wrote:
> > > David and Ben,
> > >
> > > This patch adds support for memreserve to the DTC's notion
> > > of the "source file".  That is, you can now say this:
> > >

> > >         memreserve =	<
> > >         		 0000 0001  0000 0002
> > >         		 0000 0003  0000 0004
> > >         		>
>

> > Hrm.. nice idea, but I don't really like the syntax.  It looks like a
> > property definition, which it's really not,
>
> Well, syntax is relatively easy to change.  I picked one
> that was already present in the grammar and lex code.
> I wanted to use something more braces oriented, but it
> got gross looking once I decided to use the "struct data"
> parts for the cell_t values.
>
> >  and forcing the user to
> > split up these 64-bit quantities into cells is kind of silly.
>
> Hey, I didn't set that up! :-)  There wasn't an existing
> clean way to state 64 bit values, and an arbitrary list of
> them.  So I uh, leveraged the existing cell_t support!

Cells make sense for the actual OF-like data, becayse they're an OF
concept.  For memreserve, which is purely Linux specific, they don't/

> >   Plus
> > the fact that "memreserve" is lexed as a reserved word means it can't
> > be used as a property name.
>
> Yeah, I wasn't happy about that either.  Wasn't sure
> what you wanted to do to "fix" that.  Thought it better
> to get the code into your hands than try to discuss the
> issues via mail.

Yeah... I have some ideas, maybe replacing some of the start
conditions with a lexical tie-in from the parser level.  I'll see what
I can come up with.

> >   And it really ought to have a ';' at the
> > end, for consistency.
>
> Sure.  Easy.
>
> And, I actually anticipated making the "header" parts
> of the grammar be more general, of which then the memory
> reserve area would be just one part.  For example, suppose
> you wanted to specify the "version" too:
>
>     /header/ = {
>         version  = 10;
>         memreserve = < .... ....  .... .... >;
>     };

Perhaps, I don't think there's anything else that we really want to
set for now.  I don't think version should be set in the source file.

> Or so.

Actually, I'm having second thoughts on the form I suggested before.
I'm now leaning towards:

	/memreserve/ 00000001-00000002;
	/memreserve/ 00000003-00000004;

	/ {