First time kernel impression

Joerg Dorchain joerg at dorchain.net
Tue Jan 18 20:19:52 EST 2005

Hi all,

I recently got a new iBook G4 and installed (Debian-)Linux on it. To  be
special, I did not touch the pre-installed Mac OS X on the internal HD,
but used an external firewire drive for linux.

After struggeling with some quirks (Debian Installer has two problems
with this setup that prevent it making the system bootable without
help), I wanted my own kernel and took Linus' 2.6.10 tree.

The kernel runs well, although IMHO the configuration has some quirks
worth commenting on.

As I do not use the IDE drive for booting, I wanted to compile the whole
ide stuff as a modules. This is obviously not implemented (yet).
Besides, powermac ide support only compiles and links if BLK_DEV_IDE,
BLK_DEV_IDE_PCI, and BLK_DEV_IDEDMA_PCI are selected as compiled in as
well, although this is not expressed in the Kconfig dependencies. (Ok,
the most common case is most likely to boot from the ide hd and
therefore have it all statically compiled in.)

Bye,

Joerg