Linux 2.6-10.rc3 8xx - Only 3 characters are printed well i n __init start_kernel() upon kernel booting - why ?

Povolotsky, Alexander Alexander.Povolotsky at marconi.com
Mon Jan 17 00:57:23 EST 2005

	Per kind advise I have got, I have added baud rate to the command
line (I did not have it there before):

	CONFIG_CMDLINE="console=ttyCPM0,115200 panic=3 root=/dev/ram"

		However, my real current problem (just 3 characters get
printed correctly during the kernel boot) did not go away.

		Is there a way to check if the baud rate specified in the
.config's commandline is indeed in effect for the kernel booting ?

		Any other reasons/explanation for my "3 character" problem ?

I could see some output during the kernel boot -
I noticed that (only 3) characters (see below) from the linux_banner are
printed
in __init start_kernel() upon booting . Then a lot of garbage is outputted
and eventually kernel hangs ...

after gunzip
done.
Now booting the kernel
LinÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÀÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÀ8ÀÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÀXÀÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÀxÀÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÀ~ÀÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÀ¸ÀÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÀ
ØÀÿÿ
<more garbage>
<hangs>

to prove it I added printk("ALEX\n"); in __init start_kernel() prior to
printk(linux_banner);

lock_kernel();
page_address_init();
printk("ALEX\n");
printk(linux_banner);
setup_arch(&command_line);
setup_per_cpu_areas();

after gunzip
done.
Now booting the kernel
ALEÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÀÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÀ8ÀÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÀXÀÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÀxÀÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÀ~ÀÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÀ¸ÀÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÿÀ
ØÀÿÿ
<more garbage>
<hangs>

Why would first 3 characters come out right ?
Any ideas ?
Thanks,