[FYI] linux 2.6 still not working with PReP (ppc32)

Sven Luther sven.luther at wanadoo.fr
Thu Jan 6 02:47:53 EST 2005

On Wed, Jan 05, 2005 at 12:33:25PM +0100, Marc Dietrich wrote:

> Hallo Sebastian,
>
> Am Dienstag, 4. Januar 2005 15:47 schrieb Sebastian Heutling:
> > Hello again Marc,

> > (...)
> > It is on: http://sengor.ath.cx/~sheutlin/prep/zImage.prep
>
> hehe! It is booting!!!
>
> Different to your setup, I get no timeouts here (boot.log is attached) - this
> makes me wondering if there are different board revisions out there.
>
> Another thing is,  I tried to compile a stock 2.6.8 kernel with your config
> from "/proc/config.gz" and the modified irq tables in prep_pci.c (I guess you
> also did this modification). This kernel does not boot! It even doesn't show
> the boot loader - it just hangs after finished loading the kernel from floppy
> disk. Either a) I have a corrupt kernel tree, b) my compiler (gcc 3.3.4,
> debian/sarge) has problems or c) you changed something else in your kernel.
>
> I check a) and I think it is ok.
> for b) I'm currently downloading the 3.3.5 compile from unstable debian (the
> you you are using I guess), and will try it again.
> c) how does you prep_pci.c looks like, any other changes?
>
> I have to leave this machine alone tomorrow, so I won't be able to do any
> testing further. From what we have now here, it seems that something is
> broken for kernels >2.6.8. It would be nice, if someone can double check
> this.

Did you try :

  http://people.debian.org/~luther/prep/d-i-2005.01.03-prep

It is the debian kernel with the prep_pci patch, and the debian-installer
(yesterdays or so daily-built) initrd on top of it. I simply boot it from
netboot with :

  boot enet:192.168.1.10,d-i-2005.01.03-prep,192.168.1.17

(where .10 is my tftp server, and .17 a random free address on the subnet).

And it works fine. I plan to do a kernel upload soonishly to fix those issues
in debian, but i would like to have also the fixes for the other prep systems
if needed.

Friendly,

Sven Luther